A poster has appeared the local Boys' School of the Madani Federation stating:
MUSIC | HARAAM
Listening to Music is Haraam and a Sin
Stay away from evil acts such as listening to music and encourage others to do the same too!
- Music is a tool of Shaytan (Satan)
- The playing of musical instruments and listening to them is Haraam
- According to the Law of Islam one who participates in music is regarded as a Fasiq (Sinful person)
- One of the harms of music is that it distracts one from his Creator
- The messages of today's music follow a general theme of love, drugs and freedom
- Appearance of music and stringed instruments is a cause of Allah's anger
- It is the tool of Shaytan (Satan) by which he attracts people to commit wrongful acts
Music is Haraam
The Federation's website states that Music is studied (along with other subjects at Key Stage 3) but does not appear to be included as a GCSE option.
Gush Bhumbra, the Society's President, has sent an open letter
expressing concern that students may be denied the opportunity to learn to appreciate music in all its aspects.
The school has been asked to provide an assurance that:
- this poster was not approved by the school;
- it, and any similar, will be removed when found;
- music is viewed as a culturally beneficial art form and its appreciation is encouraged throughout the school.